Summer ‘Top 10’ in Downtown Aurora (for families!)
Are you wondering what you’ll do with the kids this summer? Here is a list of mostly free summer fun for you and your family in downtown Aurora. Grab the kids and go enjoy these great, local activities.
- SciTech. It’s fun and educational. A perfect place for the kids this summer. You can make a day of it and do lunch in downtown Aurora. Super SciTech Saturdays are free for kids with adult admission on the last Saturday of the month. If you’re downtown during First Fridays in Downtown Aurora, it’s free for the whole family to get in from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Swimming Stones. Across from SciTech on Benton Street are fabulous swimming stones that are kinetic and wet. Wonderful fun for free.
- Aurora Farmers Market. They’ve never been more fun. There’s fresh produce plus a whole lot more every Saturday morning (June through Oct). There’s often live music, kids crafts, and more.
- Santori Public Library. Check out the website and find lots of kids activities including storytime, Lego Club, crafts, and more. If you’re looking to meet other parents, the library is the best place. The new library offers lots of room for young ones to explore, learn, and discover.
- River’s Edge Cafe. Grab a latte and lunch. The back deck is a piece of paradise overlooking the Fox River.
- David L. Pierce Art and History Center. With three floors of art and history, it’s a hit with all ages. The second-floor is fun for school age children with lots of fun relics like old candy machines and bicycles.
- Fox River Trail. A perfect summer weekend includes a bike ride along the river, and a stop at All Spoked Up for some bicycle TLC.
- Aurora Regional Fire Museum. The fire museum is a real treasure in downtown Aurora. The first-floor boasts old fire trucks and hands-on displays for little ones to enjoy.
- RiverEdge Park. Live music on the river welcomes thousands to Aurora. It’s right in our backyard for us to enjoy as a public park, or to sing our lungs out to “Let it Go” when Disney’s Frozen plays on August 15.
- Culture Stock is probably the best place to hang on a rainy day or just a mellow day. A kid-friendly book corner will entertain them, and there are comfy reading nooks for adults. Stop by on Monday night at 6 p.m. for live music that everyone can enjoy. Visit their Facebook page for more events, like summer storytime on Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. through July 8.