Remembering Vietnam in Aurora
Downtown Aurora will be host to several events in cooperation with the Vietnam Moving Wall this month. Aurora Historical Society is showing a special exhibit at the David L. Pierce Art and History Center and Miss Saigon is playing at the Paramount Theatre. Don’t miss out on remembering Vietnam in Aurora. Here is a full schedule of events:
Sunday, November 3
- Healing Field officially opens
Wednesday, November 6
- Between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Those who obtain a tag in memory of someone who has served in the armed forces will be able to place the tags on their own Healing Field flags
Thursday, November 7
- 8 a.m. Vietnam Moving Wall arrives in Aurora with escort to West Aurora High School by veteran riding groups
- 1 p.m. Public viewing begins. Open for viewing until dusk through Monday, Nov. 11
Friday, November 8
- 10:30 a.m. Vietnam Moving Wall Opening Ceremony
- From 4-6 p.m. Art show “Served,” featuring work on loan from The National Veterans Art Museum, in the Sauk Gallery (Room B140), West Aurora High School
- 6 p.m. Veterans Assembly open to public
- 7:15 p.m. Flag retirement ceremony (tattered, torn and faded flags accepted for retirement)
- 6:30 to 11 p.m. “A Salute to our Veterans” hosted by Presence Health/Fox Valley Region, at Pipers Banquets, Call 630-80 1-2661 for ticket information.
Saturday, November 9
- 2 p.m. Ceremony at Vietnam Moving Wall to recognize and honor Gold Star families whohave lost loved ones in war.
- 6 p.m. to midnight Veterans Night Out at Ballydoyle Irish Pub and Restaurant in downtown Aurora, tickets available at the door
Sunday, November 10
- 10 a.m. Nondenominational healing service at the Vietnam Moving Wall
Monday, November 11
- 10:15 a.m. Veterans Day Parade steps off in downtown Aurora with 10:30 a.m. program at Grand Army of the Republic Building
- 2 p.m. Wreath-laying ceremony for all branches of military at The Moving Wall
- Dusk Closing ceremony at The Moving Wall featuring candlelight vigil and final march
Wednesday, November 13
- Final day for the Healing Field
At the Paramount Theatre:
Through November 24, Miss Saigon at the Paramount Theatre, call 630-896-6666
At the David L. Pierce Art and History Center, 20 E. Downer:
- November 8 through December 28 Aurora Historical Society Exhibit at the David L. Pierce Art and History Center: “Aurora in the Vietnam Era, 1961-1975” Opening reception: from 5-8 p.m., November 8, food and music. Free. Cash bar.
- Oral story project: “I Remember That-Aurora, 1961-1975,” Saturday afternoons at the DLP, noon to 4 p.m. until December 28, call 630-906-0650 to reserve interview time
- Lecture: “Aurora and Aurorans in the Vietnam Era,” 2 p.m., November 10, $5/$3 members, call 630-906-0650 to make reservation
- Extended hours for Veterans Day Weekend: from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Nov. 9, 10 and 11.
The Moving Wall and Healing Field both will be at West Aurora High School off of Plum Street.